This program offers students the opportunity to learn Czech abroad in the beautiful city of Prague as a part of Pitt’s renowned Summer Language Institute. Students study intensive Czech for 4 weeks at Charles University and participate in an excursion program to a variety of points of interest in and around the magnificent city of Prague. This program is open to students of Czech at the intermediate, advanced, and 4th-year levels. Beginning students of Czech are not eligible for this program but are instead directed to SLI’s 10-week Pitt-Prague program or 6-week Pitt-only program to ensure an elementary level of Czech is achieved before arrival in Prague. All applicants to SLI’s Czech programs are eligible to apply for an SLI Scholarship.
- The equivalent of 1-2 semesters of Czech language training
- Rapid gain in proficiency in speaking, reading, listening, and writing in Czech
- Deep understanding of Czech culture through hands-on activities centering on film, music, art, movement, and cuisine of Central Europe
- Understanding of cross-cultural communication gleaned through the challenges and rewards of the international living experience
Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic and a city of astonishing beauty, traces its history to ancient times. Among its many well-preserved treasures are the Medieval animated Astronomical Clock in the Old Town Square, the pedestrian Charles Bridge, the Jewish Quarter, and multitudes of colorful baroque buildings and Gothic churches, museums, and theaters. While Prague’s history and beauty never cease to amaze, the city is also a cosmopolitan economic and cultural center with much diversity and modern conveniences. As a cultural hub, Prague offers endless learning opportunities and plenty of chances to experience the Czech language in action as you explore the historical sites and theatrical traditions or simply make friends with local Czechs, famous for their uniquely Czech sense of humor, in the friendly atmosphere of modern-day Prague.
Students will live in a dormitory or hostel. The cost of housing abroad is included in the program cost.
You’ll earn a total of 4 credits during your study of Czech in an intensive and immersive environment. The language learning you achieve will be equivalent to or greater than 1-2 semesters’ worth of foreign language study. You will rapidly improve proficiency in all four language modes: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Privet! I'm Oksana Stalczynski and I'm an Assistant Director of Study Abroad at the Global Experiences Office. I was born and raised in St. Petersburg, Russia, was an exchange student and Russian Language Scholar at Reed College in Portland, OR and did a summer language program in Dresden, Germany. Global experiences broaden your horizon, grow your circle of friends and improve your career opportunities. That’s why I think everyone should do one!
Feel free to contact me to find out more about global experiences programs at Pitt, and/or to learn/practice some Russian.
- Click here to schedule an appointment with me through Pathways.
- Log into Pathways with your Pitt username and password.
- Select Find Available Time.
- Select the time that works for you.
- Click the schedule button
- You will see a confirms message on the screen. You will also receive a confirmation in your Pitt email.
Don't see a time that works for you? Just send me an email.
SLI programs charge in-state tuition rates to all participants regardless of residency.
Items Billed by Pitt
|Study Abroad Fee||$300|
|Total Billed by Pitt||$4,592|
Estimated Additional Out-of-Pocket Costs
|Airfare||$1,000 - $1,200|
|Personal Expenses and Meals||$1,000|
Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad. Visit our Budgeting page for more information.
As a part of your program fee, the following are included
- Tuition for four credits
- Housing during the abroad portion of the program
- International travel health insurance
- Excursion program abroad