Are you interested in studying for a full semester in Brazil in Portuguese? Even if you have minimal Portuguese now, you can plan in advance to learn the language prior to leaving Pitt and intensively in Brazil prior to the start of your academic program. Many of your fellow classmates have done just that!
You can choose from two different schools to attend in Brazil:
- Federal University of Parana in Curitiba, Brazil
- Federal University of Itajuba in Itajuba, Brazil
- Fall: late July to December
- Spring: mid-January through mid-July.
One of the world's most captivating places, Brazil is South America’s giant, a dazzling country of powdery white-sand beaches, pristine rain forests and wild, rhythm-filled metropolises. Brazil’s attractions extend from enchanting, frozen-in-time colonial towns to dramatic landscapes of red-rock canyons, thundering waterfalls and idyllic tropical islands. Add to that, Brazil's biodiversity: legendary in scope, its diverse ecosystems boast the greatest collection of plant and animal species found anywhere on earth.
Most students in Brazil live in what are called “republicas” – shared student houses off campus. Costs are very reasonable and typically include regular housekeeping services. Housing cannot usually be firmly arranged in advance of arrival, so students must plan to stay in a local hotel for the first few days in-country and finalize their housing arrangements in person.
While you will pay Pitt tuition and fees, keep in mind that you are also responsible for the following:
- Study Abroad Administrative Fee ($400.00)
- Airfare (round trip ~$1,000.00 - $2,000)
- Room and board
- Personal expenses (depends on personal spending habits)
- Heath Insurance (depends on partner institution)
- The University of Pittsburgh provides comprehensive health insurance as a part of studying abroad. More information about the type of insurance and coverage can be provided to you by the Engineering International Programs office. However, you might need to purchase additional insurance if the school you will attend requires you to purchase a specific health insurance per their regulations. It is your responsibility to ensure you know the cost of that insurance prior to committing to the program.
Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad. Visit our Budgeting page for more information.
You will pay for tuition and fees to the University of Pittsburgh. If you have a tuition scholarship, please check with the entity providing the scholarship to confirm coverage for studying abroad.