In the past, students have spent two and a half weeks gaining 3 credits in the cosmopolitan city of Montevideo learning about the Latin American global supply chain and engineering manufacturing. The course is conducted in English and includes lectures, field visits to companies, and group projects with students from the Universidad de Montevideo and other international students from around the world.
Read more about the program here.
You will gain:
- Theoretical understanding of the supply chain process in Latin America
- Understanding of global, national and environmental issues of business/engineering companies in Uruguay
- Practical skills in creating an industry and firm analysis of companies in Uruguay
- Cross-cultural skills by living and studying in Uruguay
The University of Montevideo is a private university located in the capital city Montevideo in Uruguay. The university has approximately 3,000 students. This summer program is offered to international students around the world and conducted in English. It not only highlights the global supply chain focusing on Latin America, but also allows you to gain perspective from international students from around the world.
Uruguay is a country in South America, bordering Argentina to the west and Brazil to the north. With a population of 1.3 million, the capital city of Montevideo is the cultural center of the country. The city is situated on the northern banks of Rio de la Plata, and Montevideo is the southernmost capital city in all of the Americas. Home to tango dancing, the world's longest Carnival, and candombe (a form of Afro-Latin music), Montevideo boasts a rich cultural tradition. The city is often cited as offering the highest quality of life in Latin America.
Students will be staying in a hotel in Montevideo.
You can expect the following:
- Double rooms with a shared bathroom
- Rooms include: Fridge, Microwave, small stove top
- Heat and Air conditioning
- Sheets, blankets, towels, and washcloths
- Breakfast included each day
- Additional amenities include a computer station, a terrace, and laundry facilities.
The program is designed specifically for Engineering or Pitt Business students. The course is focused upon international supply chain management in Latin America.
This program at University of Montevideo includes students from around the globe and students from Uruguay. The program includes lectures on supply chain management, field trips to four companies and three sightseeing activities and a case study project. There is a final exam.
This program is a 3 credit program. You will not receive a letter grade for this program but will receive academic credit as long as you receive a C or higher in each course.
Engineering students can view how the course will fulfill degree requirements here:
- Chemical Engineering: coming soon
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- MEMS (Mechanical, Materials Science, and Engineering Science): coming soon
If you are an Pitt Business student, please contact your academic advisor how the course can count for requirements.
We partner with the University of Montevideo. Once you have been accepted into the program, feel free to contact Pilar Aznarze Torrendell with any questions you might have. You can find her information on the Universidad de Montevideo website.
Pilar Aznarez- email@example.com
Office of International Affairs
Universidad de Montevideo
Prudencio de Pena 2544
Uruguay - Montevideo 11600
Tel: + (598) 2707 44 61
Read more about the program here!
Om Swastiastu Pitt! My name is Lauren, and I am one of the Global Programs Managers in the Swanson School of Engineering. I studied abroad in Indonesia during undergraduate, and worked as a peer study abroad advisor once I returned. After my study abroad trip, I knew that I wanted to support students to have life-changing experiences abroad too. Let's talk about your interests and find a program that will help you achieve your goals!
Schedule an appointment with me using Pathways!
- Log in to Pathways or use the Navigate app.
- Select Appointments > Schedule an Appointment
- Select Pitt Global as the Care Unit.
- Select 152 Benedum as the Location
- Select ENGR Global as the service
- Select my name and find a time that works for you!
Having trouble or don't see a time that works for you? Just email me!
Items Billed by Pitt
|Engineering Students - Tuition Plus Fees||TBD||TBD|
|Business Students Tuition Plus Fees||TBD||TBD|
|Study Abroad Fee||$300||$300|
|ENGR Students: Total Billed by Pitt||TBD||TBD|
|BUS Students: Total Billed by Pitt||TBD||TBD|
Estimated Additional Out-of-Pocket Costs
|Program Fees paid to the University of Montevideo- students pay for housing, excursions and airport transfers (this is paid directly to the University of Montevideo, information will be provided in your acceptance email).||TBD|
|Personal Expenses and Meals||TBD|
Total Estimated Program Cost
Total Estimated Cost of Program- Engineering
Total Estimated Cost of Program- Business
(Includes items billed by Pitt and additional expenses)
This program runs from Monday May 8th, 2023 to Friday May 26th, 2023.
This program is unique in that it is a part of a university exchange. Pitt students are charged tuition and fees for the summer for 3 credits and fees due to the fact that the program is a part of an exchange agreement with the University of Montevideo.
As a part of the program costs, the following were included in the program:
- Tuition for 3 Pitt credits
- Airport transfers (in-country)
- Health insurance
- company visits and culture excursions as a part of the program
Remember that your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you'll need while abroad. Visit our budgeting page for more information.
For global scholarship opportunities, check out:
- the Pitt GEO scholarship page for links to national, provider and private scholarship samples
- PittFund$Me for Pitt sponsored funding including Pitt wide global scholarships, Nationality Rooms, VIH, etc.
- PittFund$Me for the SSOE Global Experience Scholarships!
Pitt Business students can create a crowdfund using the Pitt Business Fund My Travel page. Please note that the Pitt Business International Scholarships are now included in the PittFund$Me application.
May 8th- May 26th, 2023
Interested in learning more about the program through your fellow students' eyes? Review the blogs of students that attended the program: