Plus3 is your first chance to study abroad at Pitt. This two-week, three-credit interdisciplinary experience will give you a firsthand glimpse of globalization through site visits, discussions with experts, and academic lectures that provide cultural and political perspectives.
Tentative 2023 Plus3 Nursing Programs:
United Kingdom: Intersectionality at the Crossroads of Education and Healthcare
The academic focus of this program is an introduction to public health nursing and early childhood education contextualized by intersectionality. Built upon a comparative, multidisciplinary framework, this course addresses education, health services, and social services for children, young people, families within the context of race, gender, ethnicity, and sexuality while providing students with a broad perspective on the distinctive healthcare and education systems operating in the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Site visits may include: Public and private hospitals and schools, Birmingham City University, NGOs
- Cultural activities may include: Birmingham Museum of Art, Shakespeare Memorial Room, Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Black Country Living Museum, Birmingham Jewelry Quarter, Blenheim Palace
- Locations may include the city of Birmingham and daytrips to London, Oxford, and Stratford-upon-Avon
Check out Pitt Plus3 UK blogs for experiences of past participants
Argentina: Healthcare Management
This program will provide you with first-hand knowledge of the impacts of globalization on healthcare in a middle-income country. You will focus first on understanding major themes in global healthcare, such as global burden of disease, determinants of health, food security, and health and economic inequality. Background on Argentina's history and politics with provide you with a foundation to use during your site visits within the healthcare industry and Q&A sessions with industry stakeholders. By the end of this you will have an understanding of the mechanisms of delivering, financing, and managing healthcare in Argentina.
- Site visits may include: Universidad Austral, Hospital Universitario Austral, a healthcare related NGO, and public and private hospitals
- Cultural activities may include: Hop-on hop-off tour of Buenos Aires, a tango show, visit to an Estancia, Plaza de Mayo, and ESMA museum
Check out Pitt Plus3 Argentina blogs for experiences of past participants
UK: Located in the heart of England, Birmingham is the second-largest city in the UK. Packed with history, arts and culture, this vibrant city was a global manufacturing powerhouse, the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, and was known in the Victorian era as the ‘Workshop of the World’.
Argentina: Explore the unique neighborhoods and thriving business culture of Buenos Aires, a vibrant port city and the gateway to Argentina. Learn to tango like the locals, appreciate Latin American art at the MALBA, cheer on the soccer team, and navigate the cobblestone pedestrian streets.
UK: Accommodation will be in shared hotel rooms in Birmingham, near major attractions, shops and restaurants. Accommodation will have air conditioning and wifi.
Argentina: Accommodation will be in Buenos Aires, near major attractions, shops, and restaurants. Accommodation will have air conditioning and wifi.
You will receive three academic-credits for Plus3. For School of Nursing students, you should check with your department advisors for confirmation on what Plus3 could fulfill towards your degree.
Plus3 is a 3-part program that occurs during the spring term with international travel the first two-weeks in May.
- Pre-Departure Orientations and Workshops – Three-five cohort meetings with your faculty leader and program assistant in the spring term will help to prepare you for your time abroad.
- Field Study – Company visits, guest lectures lectures, and a reflection blog comprise the academic portion of your two weeks in-country.
- Post-Program Project – You will complete a project (details determined by the faculty member) that acts as a summary for your experience.
This program provides students with the opportunity to apply concepts and tools acquired in BUSSPP 0020 abroad. Students work in teams on research projects, and business environment & practices abroad are compared to those in the U.S. The program abroad includes company visits, lectures, and cultural excursions during a two-week study period in Argentina under the guidance of a faculty member.
Each Plus3 program has a designated Faculty Leader and a Program Assistant; they will oversee academics, manage logistics, and travel throughout the Plus3 program.
The Faculty Leaders for 2023 are:
Plus3 Argentina Faculty Leader: Dr. Grant R. Martsolf
Plus3 UK Faculty Leader: To be announced
I’m Rick, and I’m an International Programs Manager at Pitt Business. I have managed international programming, advised & taught international students, and helped others strengthen their cultural competancies for over seven years. My international interests began as an undergrad, and since then I’ve explored over 26 countries and have experienced everything from presenting on a panel at a music festival in Spain, to studying traditional dance music in Peru, to getting chased by monkeys in Malaysia (not recommended), to hiking to the top of Table Mountain in South Africa. Fun fact: I love turbulence on planes (it’s like getting rocked to sleep).
Feel free to contact me at email@example.com or 412-383-5476.
Schedule an appointment with me using Handshake!
- Log in to Handshake
- Select Appointments > Schedule an Appointment
- Select Pitt Business International Programs Advising as the Category
- Select International Programs Advising - Pitt Business as the Appointment Type
- Select a day, find my name and find time that works best for you!
Don't see a time that works for you? Just send me an email!
Schedule an appointment with me using Pathways!
- Log in to Pathways or use the Navigate app.
- Select Appointments > Schedule an Appointment
- Select Pitt Global as the Care Unit.
- Select Study Abroad Virtual Advising as the Location
- Select Study Abroad Program Specific Questions as the service
- Select my name and find a time that works for you!
Having trouble or don't see a time that works for you? Just email me!
Dr. Martsolf is a professor in the School of Nursing and a Policy Researcher at the RAND Corporation. He is a health services researcher and public policy expert. His research and teaching focuses on a wide variety of healthcare policy issues. He has many years working in international healthcare settings particularly in Haiti and Iraq. For more information on Dr. Martsolf, please visit his bio.
Items Billed by Pitt
|Program Fee & Tuition||TBA||TBA|
|Study Abroad Fee||$300||$300|
|Total Billed by Pitt||TBA||TBA|
Estimated Additional Out-of-Pocket Costs
|Additional Spending Money||~$300-$500|
- Accommodation during pre-departure orientation in Pittsburgh and duration of Plus3 program
- Tuition for three Pitt credits
- Round-trip international airfare*
- In-country transportation
- Some meals
- Visa (where applicable)
- International health insurance
The program fee will cover most of your expenses, but your lifestyle and spending choices can greatly affect the amount of money you will need while abroad. Visit our budgeting page for more information. Please keep in mind that you are also responsible for the following:
- Study Abroad Fee ($300)
- Additional spending money (~$300-$500)**
*Students who choose a return destination other than Pittsburgh will be charged the flight fee difference. Roundtrip airfare consists of departure from Pittsburgh and return to Pittsburgh or a designated hub (a list of designated hubs will be provided to students after program acceptance).
Check out the scholarship page.
The Plus3 programs run during the month of May, typically the second and third week.
- First year, first semester students from the School of Nursing and Pitt Business (Argentina) and School of Nursing and School of Education at either Greensburg or Oakland campus (United Kingdom) *School of Education includes Oakland undergraduate students who are anticipating entry into the School of Education
- Plus3 program applications will not be accepted without a passport that is valid at least six months past the program end date. Must have applied for a passport or already hold a valid passport by the application deadline. If you do not have a passport or need to renew yours, get started right away. Check out our helpful Passport Guide for more information.
- Must have a clean judicial record
- Minimum of a 2.75 GPA at the end of the first semester